If you plan on moving your business to another office location, or to another state, there are a couple of things you need to prepare for. First, you should figure out the best plan for packing, because it is a rather large task of moving your company office and keeping track of all the supplies and furniture. Just like anything, preparation will make all the difference, so make sure you have a solid moving plan before you decide to take action.
What Are My First Steps for Preparing My Office Move?
- Create a moving plan: The first, and most important, step is to create a moving plan. Make a timeline that will allow for the different stages of the move. Depending on the size of your office and how many people are on your moving team, you will need from three months to eight months of preparation, so the earlier you start the process the better. Collect all the necessary information on the new office space, such as floor layouts and any potential issues with the new space.
- Gather your team: Someone from each department or division should be a member of your moving team, and for smaller companies it may mean all employees are involved.
- Packing: employees typically pack their own desks but you need to identify who will be packing common areas. Will this be handled by employees or the moving company? Make sure everyone knows how things should be labeled for easy placement in the new facility.
- Servers/Computers & Phones: Have a specific person coordinating this effort and make a plan for cutting the equipment over. Are you re-using the same equipment or purchasing new? Make sure you’ve got all your vendors lined up and on the same page with your schedule. Your company will want to have the least amount of downtime.
- Schedule a few meetings during the planning process. Meet up with your team as well as outside vendors to ensure everyone knows their assigned tasks and major milestone dates.
Source URL: goo.gl/fSGWmV